6.20.2011

The Summer Games Opening Ceremony is always a highly anticipated event in our family. Ty has his Grandpa wrapped around his finger. Mom says no to water, ask Grandpa. Mom says no to potty, ask Grandpa. Mom says no to popcorn, ask Grandpa. I think it gives Grandpa a chance to get up and walk around and not suffer from the sheer boredom of people-watching and visiting - and it gets Ty's wiggles out too. All while I can just sit back and relax - win, win.
As usual, all loud events were watched with hands over ears. The Jazz Bear performed a few motorcycle and fire stunts. Ty did not hear it, but he saw it.
The best fireworks show in the world was also enjoyed in the same manner. As you can tell by this cheesy self-take, I had fun. The next day I ran in the 10K, rippin' and roarin' and ready to medal - with my fingers crossed that the pain in my foot from a few days before would subside. Well, with lots of tape, topical pain reliever, Advil and a few Shot Bloks, I busted my way through the race - and ended up with 4th. Grrrr. So close to a medal. My first two miles were smokin (for me) - 7:13 and 7:14! After that, even though the race was literally downhill, so was the stamina and strength in my foot. My last 4 miles were around 8:00-ish or more, I think....I stopped keeping track because I was so pissed at myself for running and aggravating things - I just wanted to finish. The foot....did not survive. I've been hobbling all weekend and am off to see the doc today. If my dreams come true - he will tell me to rest a week or two and then ease back in, since I've already registered for two races in July. A total nightmare, however, would be something torn, needing repair (aka surgery) and lots of rest.
We shall see.

1 comment:

Chelseys Blog said...

Candace 4th is awesome... and with an injury. You are my hero. We so missed not going to the Summer Games... bummer. Hopefully next year. Baby Rig is so adorable. Excited for the whole family. It all sounds like lots of fun!