5.19.2009

Luke got his turkey Saturday. It's been interesting for me as he's gotten into this turkey hunting thing. I've learned all kinds of new vocabulary - which I've loved since I'm a word nerd. This turkey is just a jake (young male turkey). Because of this, its spurs (things on the backs of its legs) were pretty small, its beard (hair off its chin) was short and its gobbler thing (haven't learned that word yet) was like a little nub. Still, I was impressed he got it. He drew out for the late hunt, which was supposed to be more difficult since it's later in the season and the males are sick of hunters and the females at this point. Wasn't too hard for Luke. He and my dad went on a drive, with the possibility of bagging a bird, but it wasn't a serious hunting excursion by any means - Luke was in full camo, my dad was in a surfer shirt and shorts. Apparently, they were driving on a dirt road and saw the turkey trot across a side road. Luke stops the truck, sneaks up on the turkey and fires his shot. Turkey down. Ha ha. No calling it in. No painting of the face and waiting at the base of a tree for hours. Basically, no hunting. It was kind of ironic and we had a good laugh about it. Next year, now next year....we will have a full-bearded, heavy spurred, gigantic gobblered turkey. I know this one's blurry, but I had to post it because I've never posed with a turkey (well, 2 turkeys) before and one of them is actually smiling!



1 comment:

Chelseys Blog said...

Congratulations Luke!